City Nature Challenge: 29th April – 2nd May 2022
Brimbank City Council has joined with more than 20 councils across Greater Melbourne along with Scouts Victoria, the Entomological Society of Victoria, and the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria to take on the City Nature Challenge in 2022.
You can be a part of the challenge in your own backyard!
We are looking for help to gather data under the following categories:
- Brimbank Birds
- Interesting Insects
- Tall Trees
- Wonderful Wildflowers
- Fabulous Fungus*
*Or combine all categories and capture photos of anything wild while you’re out at the local park!
Participating is easy and it provides a great opportunity to explore and learn about the natural environment that surrounds us even in a big city.
All you need to do is:
- Download iNaturalist on your phone and create an account.
- Go explore your garden, local park or reserve, wetland or creek, and streets and nature strips from Friday 29 April to Monday 2 May.
- Look for plants, fungus and animals that you would like to record – indoor or garden plants, pets, captive animals, and humans don’t count.
- Take a photo of each different plant, animal or fungus you find and upload your observation to iNaturalist – make sure to include the location! This way the observations will automatically be pooled to Melbourne’s project.
- Enjoy your time connecting to nature and inspire other people to join the challenge.
- … and keep an eye out for the results!
A prize will be given to the Brimbank resident with the most iNaturalist entries!
Register here to follow the challenge. We’ll be sending out links to help you participate, links to join events, and most importantly, this is how we will communicate with the prize winner!