There are five branches – Deer Park, Keilor, St Albans, Sunshine, Sydenham – and an online library that’s open 24/7!
All these libraries are highly used and valued by the community.
With extensive collections, computer and study facilities, and innovative programming, they foster a culture of reading and learning throughout life.
A huge collection of resources and services
Brimbank offers a borrowing collection of more than 225,000 items, with 25 per cent of the collection on loan to the community at any given time.
From 2019 to 2020, there were almost two million customer service interactions, and 79,548 total library members!
Brimbank Libraries also offers:
- Internet access – free access to Wi-Fi and computer use
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines, toys and games to borrow
- Daily newspapers to read in the library
- Library to Your Door – for residents who can’t make it into a branch, you can get items delivered to your home!
- Click & Collect – reserve your reading material online, then collect at your selected branch
- Click & Collect Printing – submit your print job through the library website and collect at your selected branch
- Resources in 19 community languages
Online library services are also very popular, with more than 45,000 average page visits each month.
Libraries aren’t just about books – they’re communities
Each library branch is a welcoming public space that allow you to focus, contemplate, study, or reflect.
They also offer events, such as:
- Book clubs and author talks
- School holiday programs and homework support
- English practice sessions for adults
- Resume assistance sessions and job search support
- Exhibitions and workshops for all ages
The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) outlined the public library’s role and purpose in their National Vision and Framework 2010-2015. That role and purpose is to:
- Offer universal free access to information, knowledge and ideas;
- Support formal and informal learning, especially literacy, through all stages of life;
- Provide a place for people to meet, share and be inspired;
- Ensure programs, events and collections are recreational and fun;
- House, protect and promote community heritage; and
- Provide access to technology to address the digital divide.
Get involved with your Brimbank Libraries branch!
The friendly staff at Brimbank Libraries are delighted to welcome visitors again, so come in and find out what’s on offer.
Library membership is open to everyone at no charge
Find out how to join and borrow at brimbanklibraries.vic.gov.au