An update from the most recent Council Meeting that took place on 16 May 2023.
More information is available at 2023 Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes.
Planning Activity Update and Delegate Decisions including Planning Scheme Amendment Update – April 2023
This report provided Council with an update on:
- The status of planning permit applications and trends in planning approvals in Brimbank in April 2023
- Decisions made under delegated authority in April 2023 regarding planning permit applications and other matters
- The status of current Planning Scheme Amendments at 30 April 2023
In April 2023 Council made 73 planning determinations, 19 subdivision determinations and 60 new planning permit applications were received. The value of development for these applications is $25.8 million.
One planning appeal was determined by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) over this period. At the end of April 2023, there were 12 appeals lodged at VCAT that had not yet been determined. This is the same as at the end of April 2022.
A Parking Overlay was introduced into the Brimbank Planning Scheme for the Sunshine and St Albans activity centres on 14 April 2023.
Quarterly Budget Report (Jan-March) 2023
Council has prepared its Quarterly Budget Report for March 2023 following adoption of the Annual Budget 2022/2023 at the Council meeting on 23 June 2022.
This quarterly report is a requirement under the Local Government Act 2020.
This report demonstrates Council’s commitment to the principles of sound financial management in a sustainable and responsible manner.
A report will be provided at the next Council Meeting providing an update on the status and any delays to works at Sydenham Park and other infrastructure projects within the park, including any steps required to expedite the completion of these projects.
Council Plan 2021 – 2025 – Year Two Annual Action Plan (3rd Quarter Progress Report)
Council considered a progress report on the ‘Together we are Brimbank’ Council Plan (2021-2025) for the third quarter of the Year Two Action Plan (January to March 2023).
The Plan’s 119 actions are categorised under the strategic directions of People and Community, Places and Spaces, Opportunity and Prosperity, Leadership and Governance.
As of 31 March 2023, four Council Plan actions were completed and 115 actions are in progress.
The completed actions were:
- Ensured the Public Art collection is available and accessible online.
- Developed a four year Bowery Business Plan that considers a range of operating and program models to maximise theatre hire, attendance and income.
- Continue Council’s partnership with Western Chances to support Brimbank students from disadvantaged backgrounds to maintain education and increase opportunities for employment.
- Finalise the Annual Financial and Performance Statement by 30 September each year.
Brimbank Community Grants Program 2023/2024 Categories
Council has approved the categories for the Brimbank Community Grants Program 2023/2024 as follows:
- Community Strengthening Grants – up to $10,000
- Climate Emergency Grants – up to $10,000
- Establishment Grants – up to $1,500
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Grants – up to $10,000
- Young People’s Ideas Grants – up to $10,000
- Community Festival and Event Grants – up to $10,000
- Major Festival and Event Grants – up to $25,000
- Seniors Operational Grants – up to $1,000.
From 2024, a new Responsive Grants category (up to $2,000) and the existing Establishment Grants (up to $1,500) will also be offered all year round and assessed tri-annually.
The grants provide assistance to not-for-profit organisations and community groups to deliver projects that improve Brimbank’s health and wellbeing, life-long learning, sustainable living and community networks.
Support will be available for grant applicants including:
- access to Council contact officers to answer enquiries
- a series of grant writing workshops and information sessions in June, including interpreters at selected sessions
- translated materials in the most spoken languages in Brimbank.
The Brimbank Community Grants Program 2023/2024 opens for applications on 29 May and closes on 16 July. For more information, visit www.brimbank.vic.gov.au/grants
Governance Report May 2023
Council considered a summary of recent Governance activity.
This included a report on the exercise of delegated authority, Councillor Representatives and delegates reports from committees and records of informal meetings of Councillors.
In addition Council also:
- Appointed Councillor Bruce Lancashire as Councillor delegate to the Metropolitan Transport Forum to replace Councillor Sam David, who was appointed by Council on 21 February 2023
- Delegated to the CEO the power to approve Contract No. 23/3329 – Dempster Park Tennis Refurbishment
- Noted and endorsed the officer submission which was submitted to the Victorian Legislative Council Environment and Planning Committee on behalf of Council in response to the 2022 flood event in Victoria.
Notices of Motion
At the Council Meeting on 16 May 2023, three Notices of Motion were carried:
- Update on Land Use for former Sunshine College Campuses – raised by Cr Thomas O’Reilly
- Bus Service to the Sunshine North Area – raised by Cr Ranka Rasic
- Old Calder Highway, Keilor Road Safety – raised by Cr Maria Kerr