Brimbank City Council has welcomed a State Government announcement of funding for the construction of an inviting, safe, accessible and female-friendly facility at Dempster Park Tennis.
The upgraded facility will include:
- an extension to create two new female-friendly change rooms
- an improved kitchen and kiosk
- a new, externally accessible, Disability Discrimination Act compliant (DDA) toilet facility, and
- the installation of Tennis Australia’s ‘Book a Court’ system.
The new facility will attract participants, spectators and general community members from across Sunshine, Sunshine North, Sunshine West, Deer Park and beyond. It will also support increased community participation in:
- booking a court for casual use
- the introduction of Red Ball Hot Shot competitions with schools
- more cardio tennis programs
- the ability to hold tournaments
- more ladies/mixed competition.
Brimbank Mayor, Cr Jasmine Nguyen, said she’s thrilled about the many benefits this new facility will bring to our community.
“I would like to thank the Victorian Government for funding for this exciting new facility. The flexible design will create a useful, welcoming and inclusive environment for females, juniors and people with diverse abilities.”
The facility upgrade was made possible thanks to a Victorian Government Grant of $204,159, Council funding of $135,000, $59,159 funding from North Sunshine Tennis Club and a Federal Government grant of $10,000.
Construction of the facility will start later this year and is expected to be completed by June 2023.
The new amenities will provide a welcoming space for under-represented groups within the community to call home.
The upgrade is a top priority in the rolling programs included in Council’s Sports Facility Development Plan.