Many schools within Brimbank can be uncomfortable places to be in on hot days. They are dominated by heat-absorbing surfaces like concrete and brick walls. Increasing the amount of vegetation on school campuses is a simple way to provide cooling and improve the mental and physical health of the school community.
Last year, almost 60 students from two schools in Brimbank, Movelle Primary School and Copperfield College Kings Park Junior Campus, took part in the Climate Oasis in Schools Program. The program was an overwhelming success, so we’re offering a revamped version.
As part of the 2024 program, students will participate in four co-design workshops where they will work with a Council Officer from the Environment Department to design a landscape masterplan that would transform their school into a green and cool climate oasis, thereby improving the school’s liveability and supporting local biodiversity.
Things to consider when submitting your application:
- This program will only be offered to two Brimbank schools and will run between late-February to June 2024.
- Applications are open to (public and private) secondary and primary schools within Brimbank.
- The workshops will ideally be delivered to one class (with approximately 25 – 30 students) at each school.
- This program may also be run with existing student leadership teams such as Green Teams, but priority will be given to schools that are seeking to run this with an average class size.
- This program is suitable for students aged 10 years old and above.
- This program is anticipated to involve the contribution of up to 12 teacher hours.
- Workshops #1 – 3 MUST be completed by Friday 17 May. Workshop #4 MUST be completed by Friday 15 June.
- Capital works funding will not be provided.
Applications close 18 February 2024.
Testimonials from the 2023 program:
“The students and I found the program super engaging and the learning was enriched by working with professionals. The landscape architects and Chiara [the council officer] were so helpful and accommodating to all of our questions and needs. I highly recommend that this program continues throughout other schools. It has been so successful at our school that the Principal has agreed to fund some of the design elements from the final masterplan. Thank you so much for such a great learning experience!!” – Movelle Primary School teacher.
“I loved how the sessions were very student focused. All presenters were professional, knowledgeable and reliable. It gave a great insight into exploring the many incentives we could do amongst the school.” – Copperfield College (Junior Campus) teacher.
“It was very engaging, it was a very new experience, really encouraging and I learnt a lot from this program!”
“I liked how we got to work with professionals and were able to design our school to turn it into a climate oasis but the best part is that our plans and ideas are going to come true!”
“I like how everyone gets a chance to speak and share their ideas I also like how co-operative we were together. The workshops were really fun too. We got to learn a lot of things which was cool because most of us didn’t know much about the climate oasis. It was fun designing the masterplan because you could add anything it just had to relate to a cool and healthy climate oasis. I loved how we did the [Kahoot-style] quiz together because we could have fun and still learn things, I really had a great time during this program.”